Sunday, March 28, 2010

Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder.....

For some odd reason I was thinking about this statement this weekend. I had a micro-mini vaction over the weekend and was able to listen to what I percieve as the most relaxing and energy giving sound nature can provide. We went to Niagara Falls to celebrate our 21st anniversary. Niagara is my most favorite spot. I love the falls! I could sit for hours just listening to the roar of the water, feeling the light spray of water tickle my face. I become energized, my mind works better, doors open in tiny little compartments that allow my creative juices to flow. Frankly, to me, there just isn't anything better, yet.

I've heard people say "What's the bid deal. It's just water falling off a cliff." Ya know what my first thought is? How sad for them. Is that all they see or feel? Next, I want to shake them, take them to the falls and make them stand at the horseshoe falls, tell them to close their eyes and just listen. Open up your mind.

See, when I sit there and listen with my eyes closed, I swear I can hear echoes of the past that these falls have witnessed. Native American Indians who lived side by side with natures gift to the world. The people who journeid to the falls to witness the original awesome power they possess, sitting with a picnic lunch and making a lazy, lovely day. The men who worked to save the falls when they began to crumble. The people who risked their lives to do the impossible and plunge over the falls in such unbelievably inadequate vessels simply so they could say they did it.

These wonderful falls have such amazing history, how could you not hear the whispers of those who came to witness them before us? I have to say in all honesty, the US side of the falls is much better than the Canadian side. The fact that we, as a nation, have made the falls into a National Park is a fact to be proud of. Don't get me wrong, I love Canada, but as you stand on the US side and look across, there really isn't anything welcoming about the falls. No nice park to wander through up the Niagara River. And, yes. They are continually working to make it better.

How someone can look at the magestic beauty of these falls and see only running water is beyond me. Have you ever heard the story of the little boy that was having a family day up the river on a boat? I don't remember the entire story but their boat capsized, the little boy floated down the river and over the falls. Luckily, the Maid of the Mist was running at that very moment. The Captian, and I wish I could remember this great man's name, took the boat as close to the falls as he could get and fished this little boy from the water. The best news, the boy lived. Can you imagine being beaten and battered floating down the river and then dropping off what must have seemed like the side of the earth.

If you don't beileive in miracles, maybe you should reconsider. No barrel to protect your body, nothing but the soaked clothes on your back to protect you. As a mother, this story makes my heart skip a beat and then sink. The helplessness of the family knowing their boy was headed for certain death and they could do nothing to stop it, it brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it.

Anyway, my point is, open your mind, think of the stories these falls have been a part of, some good, some tragic. Listen for the whispers and echoes of those people laughing with joy, screaming with fear and the simple gasps of wonder from people viewing this natural beauty for the first time. Allow the power of the falls to fill your being, energize you. Enjoy the spray of water on your face and maybe, just maybe think of this as a kiss from mother nature.

Water falling over a cliff? I don't think so, but then that's just me. Next time you see something or someone you want to dismiss as ordinary, simple or even ugly, take a moment and look again. Sometimes when you know more about people or things, their beauty shines through.

Have a good evening everyone and....

Happy Reading...........

No comments: