Saturday, September 10, 2011

Flood of 2011







First off I'd like to say thank you to those who reached out and gave good thought vibes for me and my family this past week. My appreciation is undying.

My community suffered the worst flooding it's seen since 1972 and this years fall flooding was worse. Central Pennsylvania was hit by the tropical storm Lee and received 10 inches of rain in three days. The rivers, creeks and saturated ground from an extremely wet summer simply couldn't handle the amount of water. Our rivers and creeks overflowed and wreaked havoc on roads, bridges and homes.

Thankfully, my family and I escaped with no damage, simply lost our phones, cell phones and Internet, a minor inconvenience compared to the people only a few miles away from us. So many homes lost, and when I say lost I mean gone, nothing left. Roads were demolished. A 40+ stretch of main road vital to our community has been wiped out. People are stranded, isolated, unable to get help. A few fires broke out, unfortunately, fire departments couldn't get to them. People had to be air lifted out by the National Guard.

I ask that you keep these families in your thoughts, prayers or whatever it is you do to ask for help. The restaurant my son worked at, and yes I say worked, is a pile of worthless rubbish. Needless to say, he needs another job.

Again, I say thank you to those who reached out to us. To know people worried is heart warming.

Hopefully, over the weeks and months to come peoples lives will settle and come together again and I will be donating and volunteering to do all I can to help those who weren't as fortunate as I.

No comments: