Thursday, January 17, 2008

My Space Woes - Winter Returns - Dangerous Money

I am so frustrated I could pull my hair out! Not being computer savvy I struggle my way through setting up sites for myself. My latest struggle is with my space. All I wanted to do was get a premade layout loaded so my page didn't look so generic. I go to several different sites that have layouts, spend an hour perusing for a layout that fits my personality and follow the directions to a T! What happens, half of it shows up. No background, my personal info disappears and the contact me box REFUSES to make itself visible. WHY!!!! So, I go back, read the directions once more, retry everything and still. NOTHING!!!!! Okay, I'll just ask for help. Where do I ask for help. A forum, ack! Needless to say, my page is a disaster! But I will figure it out, I swear it will not conquer me.

Winter made its return. The cold weather slithered back in and brought with it SNOW!! Ugh, I guess I know what I'll be doing tomorrow morning, that's right shoveling. How many more days until spring? So, while it snowed I sat at my desk searching the web for ways to advertise my books and get my name out so people might take a look at what I write and possibly read it.
If anyone has any suggestions for a low budget advertising seeker, please feel free to contact me. I'm open to new ideas, really.

Okay, the second installment of Dangerous Money is ready. Enjoy it, let me know what you think and please, pop on over to my web site. www.robinleighmiller.com
Happy Reading.......................

DANGEROUS MONEY

Twenty-six year old Marley waited anxiously for Kevin to come home. Setting businesses up with new computer systems and software sometimes required waiting for after hours. To pass the time she popped in her favorite disk of all time, the day she won two million dollars on her favorite game show Push Your Luck.
When she and Kevin were dating, they would sit and watch, Marley shouting out answers, screaming at the contestants when they screwed up. Kevin would laugh, reminding her that it’s different when millions of people were watching you and the pressure was on.
Then one day, only months after their nuptials, the local news station reported the game show would be holding auditions only seventy miles away from their small town. Kevin, her family and friends all urged her to try out.
“Why not? Nothing ventured, nothing gained.” She agreed.
Taking a day off at the hospital she worked at as a surgical assistant, she shanghaied her best friend Tori and made the drive.
“Oh my God Tori. Look at that line. I don’t have a chance in hell. We might as well go home now. It’ll be ten o’clock tonight before I get in there.”
The line wrapped around the old brick building, now used as a theater, and nearly made it back to the front door. Hundreds of people chattered to people they didn’t know claiming they were the best at the game and would set a new winning record when they got on. Marley sighed to herself, flipped open her phone and called Kevin.
“Honey, I don’t think this is going to work. You should see the people here. I think I’m just going to come home.”
“Babe, this is a once in a life time chance. Wait it out, give it a chance and who knows, you might get lucky.”
His encouragement strengthened her will. “But I might not get home until midnight.”
“I’ll warm dinner for you. Now get your sexy little ass in that line and make me proud.”
Wanting to succeed more for Kevin than for herself, she trudge up to the line and took her place. Tori kept her occupied with mindless talk about the happenings in the world, who was dating whom, and then resorted to observing people in line and figuring out what celebrity they looked like. Marley kept reminding herself she was doing this for Kevin, it was the only way she kept herself in a mile long line that moved every half hour.
“I’m getting cold. You want some coffee?” Tori wrapped her arms around herself and shivered.
“No and you shouldn’t drink any either. God knows when we’ll get near a bathroom. I have to go as it is.”
Tori gave an exasperated sigh. “I’m gonna go for a walk. If I find a place with a public restroom I’ll come back, hold your place in line and you can go.”
Marley couldn’t find any fault with that plan. “Okay, just hurry. The line might move three inches and you won’t be able to find me.”
Tori didn’t take the time to comment, she simply stepped out of line and disappeared. Fifteen minutes later, she returned with a steaming cup of coffee.
“Two blocks down there’s a diner called Emilio’s. Buy a cup of coffee, use the restroom and you’ll be back in fifteen.”
“I don’t want any coffee.” Marley didn’t like whining, but this was seriously ridiculous.
“So, bring it back for me. I’m mostly using it to keep my hands warm.”
The urge to use the bathroom had grown in the last few minutes. “Okay. Keep your eye out for me in case I can’t find you.”
Like her friend, she returned shortly after with a cup of coffee and opted to hold it herself to keep her hands warm. Four hours later they were at the front door and could feel the warm air escaping from inside.
“Almost there honey.” Tori said patting her on the back.
“I don’t even care about auditioning anymore. I just want inside. It looks like it’s going to snow.”
A scrawny, dark haired young man stepped out the door, shivered, and yelled, “I need the next four people in line.”
“That’s you Mar. Good luck. I’ll be waiting for you over there on the corner.” She shoved Marley through the door and took off.
For half an hour Marley filled out paperwork, read a release, signed more papers and then sat. At least she was inside and sitting, not freezing her limbs off.
“Marley Donavan.” The same gangly kid bellowed.
Marley stood and followed him into a room where four people seated behind a long table sat with glazed eyes, stone faces and don’t care attitudes. Without even glancing up, they hurled questions at her like baseballs. She stammered, stuttered and fought like hell to keep up with them. When they were finished, Marley covered her face with her hands, shook her head and prayed her torture session was over.
“Okay Ms. Donovan, you’re finished.”
Like a lamb being led to slaughter, she was taken by the arm and dragged out of the room, told to stay put until someone came for her and then left alone. Two minutes later a paper was shoved in hand.
“This is the date you’ll be on the show. You make your own arrangements. Hotel, transportation to the studio, oh and bring a few different outfits so wardrobe can make sure you look good on camera. You’ll need to arrive two hours before air time so make-up can get you ready. It’s all there.”
Before she could look up from the paper in her hand, she was alone again. A bright red exit sign hung over the only door around so, assuming this was the way out, she wandered over, opened it and stepped out onto a side street. Dumbfounded, shocked and still not sure what just happened, she shuffled her way to the main street. Tori stood with her back to her puffing on a cigarette.
“Tori?” Her voice sounded like a frightened child.
“Hey Mar, how’d it go?”
She handed her the paper and looked around. “It’s dark. How long was I in there?”
“Holy crap Marley, you did it. You’re on the show.”
Barely feeling her best friend wrap her arms around her she stood staring straight ahead.
“You have to call Kevin and let him know.”
“I guess.” On automatic now, she pulled her phone from her pocked, dialed the number and watched as Tori danced around in the street.
“Hello.”
Hearing Kevin’s voice helped bring her back to the fringes of reality. “Kevin, honey I made it.”

No comments: